Mussels in tomato and vegetable sauce (Serves 4)
1 kg mussels in shells
3 tomatoes (preferably Roma)
Diced fresh vegetables (e.g. carrot, zucchini, capsicum, spring onion, etc)
600g pasta sauce (either fresh or prepared Napoletana)
1 lemon cut into wedges Crusty bread.
- Cook diced vegetables and tomatoes until just tender or microwave for 2 minutes.
- Scrub mussels well and remove ‘beards’. Discard open or damaged mussels. Rinse well.
- Place 1⁄2 cup water in a large saucepan and bring to the boil.
- Add mussels to pot on high heatand cook for around 5 minutes,
shaking pot continually.
- When cooked, remove from heatand discard any unopened shells.
- Return pan to stove, add pastasauce and vegetables/tomato mixture and simmer for around 3 minutes.
- Serve in bowls with lemon wedges and crusty bread.